Monday 15 July 2013

Gone Back....

Hello guys..happy Monday!! the sun is still shining here and its just fab......

Today I have something completely different for me....well perhaps not really....when I left school many moons ago my dream was to go on to art college..I went to an all girls school where the brighter girls were encouraged to go to Uni and study law and the lower achievers were force to do shorthand and typing which would ease them into office jobs...me?..I was lazy...just wanted to draw and paint...I liked history and geography...language's?..no chance...lol...Maths scared me..(still does)..and as for sports...well...my mum always said that I wouldn't run even if my bum was on fire!!!..lol....

.Our Art room at school was in an old cricket pavilion at the far end of the sports field and I would sneak off there whenever I could to work on my latest art project...I wasn't good at drawing unless I copied but I loved colour and shapes and I was in my element with all the psychedelic stuff going on around me (this was late '60's).  I found a passion for screen printing and was luckily encouraged by my art teachers to interpret any of my projects in this direction and I chose to do my O level exams with this in mind....I really would have loved to go into fabric design but my parents had other ideas and when I left school they wanted me to get a nice safe office job....I did manage to do something a bit more creative and became a window dresser...but that's another story.

I haven't sat and doodled for years let alone get the paints out and have a splosh about but I channelled my artiness into card making as you have seen...but for a while now I have been drooling over some mixed media blogs and books and I really want to do a course..I'm not sure I still have it in me but I feel I wont know unless I try...so I'm looking around for a course to do in my area...but in the meantime I had a play over the weekend.....and here is some original art work by me...its not overly mixed media but its a start albeit a tiny one....

 
I doodled freehand with just a pencil the design on watercolour card....then coloured with DI pens..then I misted with water and let the colours run a bit then dabbed with a paper towel...when dried I went over the pencil lines with a fine black pen..then I used the DI pens again to enhance the colours more then used a white pen over the lines here and there and added more doodles....
 
You know what?...I am so pleased with it..(if I say so myself) all my own work....I feel I've gone back to my first arty love...and I'm not going to give it up again....
 
Have a lovely day...
hugs
Jan...xxx
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is an awesome little work of art. Your colouring is amazing and I cant believe you just doodled this design.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Jan ! This is totally awesome ! You are such a talented lady... Thank you for sharing a bit of your story... Hugs, blessings and love from Catherine

    ReplyDelete